is located in Kent County, on Maryland's Eastern Shore.
It was founded in 1763 and was originally known as
Downs' Cross Roads in recognition of a local tavern
owner, William Downs. The name was later changed to
Georgetown Cross Roads.
silver was discovered near the town in 1813, a mining
operation started. However, fearing that marauding
British troops might capture the mine in the course
of hostile activities of the War of 1812, the owner
soon closed it down. Despite the episode's short life,
the town got its permanent name "Galena,"
after the type of silver that was found in the mine.